Control Engineering magazine hosts its annual awards program, which highlights some of the best new control, instrumentation, and automation products.
We're excited that Opto 22's groov EPIC (Edge Programmable Industrial Controller) is once again in the running for an Engineers' Choice award!
Major new features were added to the groov EPIC controller this year, making it a repeat contender:
1 - Programming options now include IEC 61131-3 compliant languages like:
- Function Block Diagram (FBD)
- Structured Text (ST)
- Sequential Function Charts (SFC)
- Ladder Diagram (LD)
3 - For Ignition users, you can now choose Ignition or Ignition Edge platforms. Full Ignition gives you access to more Ignition modules, external access to the OPC UA server (no need for a PC!), scripting, and database support.
But groov EPIC can't get the recognition without your help!
Please consider submitting your vote for groov EPIC (edge programmable industrial controller) under its Industrial Internet of Things Connectivity - Edge Controller category.
Voting closes December 20, 2019, with winners announced online on February 3, 2020 and featured in the February 2020 issue of Control Engineering.
How to vote
To view the Engineers’ Choice finalists and vote, please click on this Engineers' Choice voting link and register, or if you’re already registered, sign into the New Products for Engineers Database.
- Click the Control Engineering 2020 Engineers’ Choice Awards “Vote Now” box.
- Select the Industrial Internet of Things Connectivity - Edge Controller category, and vote for the groov EPIC controller (Opto 22) .
- Be sure to click the Review Your Votes and Submit Your Votes boxes at the bottom right of each page to complete the voting process.
Here's a recap of what you can expect from this Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) edge controller:
- Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces enable the processor to maintain separate connections to trusted networks (like your controls network) and untrusted networks (like your back office network).
- Security features include built-in configurable device firewall and VPN, user accounts, authentication required for access, no default username or password, data encryption, and security certificate management.
- Processor is protected by an Opto 22 cryptographically signed build, so rogue firmware or software cannot be uploaded to the EPIC.
- Dual USB ports let the processor communicate with touchscreen monitors or connect to your network with approved WiFi adapters.
- HDMI port displays configuration and groov View HMI on an external large screen, which is also useful for OEM applications where the EPIC system is built into a machine.
- Commission your system with web-based groov Manage, viewable by authorized users from the integrated touchscreen or from a computer or mobile device.
- Program your EPIC using flowchart-based PAC Control with optional scripting. Or use any IEC 61131-3 compliant language (like Function Block Diagram and Ladder Diagram) with the CODESYS® Development System and runtime. Or build your own custom program in C/C++, Java, Python, and more with Secure Shell access (SSH).
- Easily build the HMI you need for all your systems, devices, and data using groov View. Authorized users can securely see your HMI locally on the EPIC's high-resolution touchscreen and from anywhere on any computer or mobile device. You can also build a traditional Microsoft® Windows®-based HMI using PAC Display.
- Create simple logic flows with Node-RED. Use pre-built nodes to exchange data with equipment, online services, and more.
- Connect to Allen-Bradley® and Siemens® PLCs with the included OPC-UA drivers from Ignition Edge® (a product of Inductive Automation®) (requires a groov Ignition Edge license).
- Efficiently exchange data for IIoT projects using optional MQTT communications with Strings or Sparkplug payload, also provided by Ignition Edge Onboard (requires a groov Ignition Edge license).
- Choose to run either Ignition Edge or full Ignition on the EPIC processor. No PC needed. Full Ignition adds features like external access to the OPC-UA server, additional Ignition modules, scripting, and database support.
Keep calm and groov on!