A lot of our customers have gotten excited about the new HTTP/HTTPS server and RESTful API just added to Opto 22 SNAP PAC standalone and rack-mounted industrial controllers.
Because now your software developers can use the programming language of their choice to securely access data in the SNAP PAC—both I/O point data and data from any variable in your PAC Control strategy.
That opens up amazing possibilities!
Using the REST API can speed your integration of SNAP PACs with other company systems and databases and save time, effort, and cost on Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
But how does it actually work?
- You know controls, but safely getting data that last step into cloud technologies is a real concern.
- Your IT folks know cloud technologies, but they may not understand how physical devices communicate or why connecting to them is difficult.
Our free SNAP PAC REST API and the IoT technical notes can help both automation and IT professionals.
Read the IoT tech note for automation pros to learn:
- The kinds of data you may be asked to provide and why
- Concepts important to any IoT strategy, like encryption and authentication
- How you can avoid a complex chain of conversion hardware and software
Read the IoT tech note for IT pros to learn:
- How physical things communicate
- The kinds of data they contain
- Barriers to getting that data—especially from existing sensors and devices with no built-in IoT capabilities
- How you can achieve IoT goals now