Wow, it's already the end of the year. The evenings are dark and the Christmas tree glistens in our lobby, as we look forward to the holidays with friends and family.
Is the Internet of Things (IoT) just a lot of hype, or can the IoT technologies we keep hearing about provide real value?
RESTful APIs, Node-RED, and MQTT are just some of the new technical terms we're all starting to learn.
If you'd like to see these technologies in action to understand how they might be useful for your applications, then join us for a new webinar on December 12.
Opto 22's Senior Applications Engineer Kyle Orman will demo these technologies and more. He'll show you how to exchange live data between real-world I/O and IoT platforms.
You'll see:- IoT hardware that's proven in industrial locations
- RESTful APIs to get data from PAC controllers
- Examples of simple logic flows created with Node-RED
- Ignition Edge® OPC-UA drivers built into the groov Box
If you're a manufacturer interested in improving overall equipment effectiveness (OEE), you may find it difficult to integrate OEE with your manufacturing execution system (MES) or enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
Why? Because the IT (information technology) software systems traditionally used for MES and ERP don't interface with the PLCs and I/O systems used in production and manufacturing.
Over the years, one of the most difficult things I’ve had to help clients with is justifying an automation project. Whether it’s a new system or an upgrade, the challenge is often in quantifying the benefits financially.
- Data from industrial systems in factories and processes
- Data from sensors and devices in remote locations
- Data from company databases and spreadsheets
- Data available from online services and cloud platforms
What if your operators could enter machine data on their phones and that data automatically appeared in a Microsoft® Excel® spreadsheet?
What if production or usage data from your spreadsheet was automatically updated in your supervisor's groov mobile operator interface?
Could be pretty handy, right?
Well, we've got a couple of code samples to show you how to make it happen.
Wine + IoT = yum + engineering fun
In my last post, I talked about beer and some hard deadlines at the end of a season. This time, let’s talk about wine and a different kind of season: harvest season!
During that Big Game, and since then, you might’ve seen some ads showing farmers in fields with iPads.
Well, I’ve met them.
Join us at the SORT Fall Technology Showcase in Ontario, Canada next Thursday, September 28.
- See advanced solutions for automotive, metal and steel, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and other industries.
- Learn about the latest technologies to address your manufacturing challenges.
- Attend live demonstrations and seminars.
- How do you get machine data without interfering with the process?
- What's an easy way to monitor temperature in a server room?
- How can you control the flow of heating and cooling water in your HVAC system?
These are the kinds of fundamental questions that come up over and over in automation applications, and our new Automation 101 video series aims to answer them.